Playing with poker chips is a time honored tradition at the poker table, and if you enter any poker room you will see plenty of people playing with the chips in front of them, doing all kinds of tricks and appearing to be having a very good time. In many cases this poker chip play is much more than just a game; it is a serious strategy used to give the player an edge in the game.
The interest in poker chip tricks has no doubt been spurred on by the advent of televised poker tournaments. We have all sat enthralled and watched those seemingly unbeatable professional poker players as they hold the poker chips between their fingers, toss them in the air, catch them, spin them and otherwise have a great time playing with them. As we said, these poker chip games are not merely fun and games. Some of the reasons poker players do tricks include:
- Displaying their attitude to the other players in the game. Those who continually play with their poker chips are giving others the impression that they were born with a poker chip in their hands, and that the player is a true expert. This display can be quite intimidating to the other players, and quite effective for the trick player.
- Relieving stress and reducing nervousness is another reason for playing poker chip tricks. Poker can be a stressful sport, particularly in high stakes tournament play. Performing tricks with poker chips is a great way to relieve stress while focusing on the game.
- Of course intimidating the other players is another reason players do tricks with their poker chips. We have all seen those beginning players that are wiling to give up a good hand and fold because they were intimidated by the skill of a better player. Those who appear to be experts at the game can intimidate lesser players, and doing tricks with the chips in front of you is one of the best ways to convey the impression that you are an expert at the game.
- All those poker tricks also serve to get the respect of the casino staff. Those who do not appear to be beginners will be treated differently by the dealers, and the casino staff will remember and recognize the players they perceive as expert poker players.
- Doing poker tricks is also a great way to stay focused. Playing poker tournaments is a marathon event, and it is important to keep your focus even when you are tired. Playing a couple of tricks with the poker chips on the table is a great way to perk yourself up and focus on the game in front of you.
- Of course one of the most common reasons people play tricks with poker chips is simply to show off. Poker is a very public game, and few of us can resist the urge to show off and be the center of attention.
- Going hand in hand with the need to show off is the fact that the professional poker players play these tricks. Every player wants to emulate the pros, whether we are talking about football, baseball or poker.
Whether your goal is to be the best player in the world of poker, or just to win against your friends and family members, learning to play poker tricks can increase your enjoyment of the game. The game of poker is one of the most exciting, and most popular, ways to pass the time, and poker tricks can make a fun game even more enjoyable.